Don’t miss it! 9am – 2pm!!
Fill a carrier bag for £5!
“Be Online 2015” at Explore York Libraries and Archives
Free, short workshops for residents to get even more from the internet and its world of information are being offered by Explore York.
From Monday 23 February to Saturday 7 March 2015, Explore York Libraries invite residents to ‘stay healthy, find work and enjoy life online’ with a series of free and informative workshops to help further understanding and enjoyment of the internet.
Be Online 2015 will include free introductions to Twitter, Instagram, Ancestry.com, NHS Choices, eBay, Google and much more.
In partnership with Tinder Foundation/UK Online, libraries across York (except the reading cafés and mobile library) will be hosting at least one session for people of all ages and skill levels. Whether learners know the basics or have never even touched a computer before, these sessions will help widen understanding of how the internet and its applications can truly help enhance and make daily life easier.
To find out more about Be Online 2015, pick up a leaflet from your local library or visit www.exploreyork.org.uk and click on the What’s On tab. Bookings for each session can be made at any of the libraries in person, by phone or by calling 01904 552828 and leaving a message. Places are limited so please book early.
- Get to Know the Basics of Digital Imaging We’ll show you how to improve your digital photographs with red eye control, special effects, filters and more. Explore Acomb Library, Sat 7 March, 12.30 – 1.30pm
- Get Started with Skype Find out how to set up a free Skype account to contact friends and family across the world via live video. Explore Acomb Library, Mon 23 February, 4.30 – 5.30pm
- Twitter for Businesses Discover how Twitter can help your business grow with this informative taster session. Explore Acomb Library, Weds 25 February, 11.00 – Noon Explore Acomb Library, Mon 2 March, 6.00 – 7.00pm
- Get to Grips with the Explore E-Library Discover the benefits of e-reading with our free and exciting online library.Explore Acomb Library, Sat 28 February, 12.30 – 1.30pm Explore York Library, Weds 4 March, 10.00 – 11.00am
- Get Stated with Instagram Come along and get to grips with the image-based social network. Explore Acomb Library, Mon 2 March, 2.00 – 3.00pm
- An Introduction to Shopping Online Get to know how to shop for bargains and keep safe while shopping on the internet. Poppleton Library, Mon 2 March, 2.30 – 4.00pm Dringhouses Library, Thurs 5 March, 3.00 – 5.00pm
Fiona Williams, Chief Executive of Explore York Libraries and Archives, said: “The internet can help us improve our health, search for jobs and complement the many hobbies and pastimes we enjoy. Through these workshops, Explore York Libraries and Archives can give people the support they need when it comes to discovering the digital world.”
Small businesses and registered charities across York will have the chance to benefit from face to face advice on how they can speed up their broadband, from a £3,000 grant, at a series of road shows taking place across the city.
The drop in sessions, which are taking place throughout January, will showcase the York Connection Voucher Scheme which has been helping small businesses in York increase their broadband speed. At the events advice will be available on how to apply for a £3,000 Connection Voucher* and how it can transform the way businesses and registered charities operate.
Current road show events which have been confirmed are:
- Elvington Air Museum on Tuesday 13 January 8.30am-10.30am
- Hilton Hotel, Tower Street on Wednesday 14 January 3.30pm-5.30pm
- Holiday Inn, Tadcaster Road on Tuesday 20 January 8.30am-10.30am
- Explore Acomb Library Learning Centre on Tuesday 20 January 12.30pm-2.30pm
- West Offices Customer Centre Thursday 22 January 8.30am-11.30am
On Saturday 6 December, Explore Acomb Library will be hosting two 3D Printing events.
During these three-hour events, experts will train learners in 3D design using the latest technology, and each learner will be given the opportunity to print their design to take home with them – this could include 3D jewellery, ornaments, model trains, toys, utensils and much more.
And as the events occur in early December, this could be the perfect opportunity to design and create a unique Christmas gift for that special someone.
Customers have a choice of a morning or afternoon session:
Saturday 6 December, 9.30am – 12.30pm
Saturday 6 December, 13.30pm – 16.30pm.
Spaces are limited, so booking is essential. Please call Explore Acomb Library on 01904 552651 to reserve a place. Tickets are priced at £30 per person which includes design training, model creation and refreshments. The events are open to all ages.